Friday, September 28, 2007

On Becoming Like a Saint


When I was a small boy, many years ago, I remember my aunt teasing me about my not having even a bit of a chance of becoming a saint. Why so, I ask her? She, like everybody else, saw me as a mischievous child back then. I myself was aware that I was a naughty kid, sort of a “Dennis the Menace” type.

I gamely replied to my aunt not to worry, as I have no intention of becoming a saint like those Patron Saints to whom she prays to. Up to now, what I have of an image of a Catholic saint is one with impeccable character and filled with the virtues which make him worthy of the presence and love of the Lord God.

Still and all, I also believe that every person has little saintliness in him. Okay, admittedly some people are definitely more saintly. I rank myself among those who lean on being more worried about my material wants, while neglecting the spiritual needs, which I would also admit is more important but I somehow ignore.

I may not become a saint, but I can sure try doing things that are saintly. Small things, little sacrifices like a few hours of fasting, walking for long hours, listening to mom’s sermon instead of talking back, caring more about the pets. I believe that performing such things is pleasing to the eyes of God. There really is no need to be a Saint; just act according to God’s Commandments, and we are next to being one.

No comments: