Friday, October 13, 2006

Saying Prayers Fervently

Do you somehow think that praying the Holy Rosary or saying the novena to Saint Rita of Cascia or the Miraculous Infant Jesus of Prague can be monotonous and repetitious?

Of course, the Holy Rosary is composed of 3 Mysteries, which is 15 decades of 1 Our Father, 10 Hail Mary’s, and 1 Glory Be. Even with just one mystery, we somehow would have the tendency to pray in a repetitious manner. I myself would admit to it. Somehow, along my saying the Holy Rosary, my mind in a few instances would wander off and think of other things that would make me lose my concentration on my prayer. This is the same when I pray the novenas of Saint Rita of Cascia and the Infant Jesus of Prague.

What I do to really concentrate on my prayer is to visualize the mysteries while I am praying. For example, if the Mystery is Agony in the Garden, while praying I think of how Jesus himself was praying and contemplating at the Garden of Gethsemane. I feel that by praying this way, the prayers become more meaningful and important to the Lord.

When it comes to the novenas, I look at the image of Saint Rita of Cascia or Infant Jesus of Prague while praying to them. Sometimes I say the words of the prayer aloud. This way, I more feel the significance and meaning of such prayers.

In my opinion, the best way to say prayers is to feel it, and say it like it is coming from your heart. You feel your prayers, and say it fervently – it will be certain that they will be heard.

No comments: