Monday, October 02, 2006

Saint Thomas Aquinas

My friend was wondering why Saint Thomas Aquinas is not one of my favorite saints along with Saint Rita of Cascia and the Miraculous Infant Jesus of Prague.

Come to think of it, why not really? The fact is, I do believe I owe a lot from Saint Thomas.

Like Saint Rita of Cascia and the Infant Jesus of Prague, Saint Thomas Aquinas is truly one of the special saints in my life if only because I spend my elementary and high school education at the University of Santo Tomas in Manila, which is the oldest university in Asia and has the official title of “The Royal Catholic University of the Philippines.”

We students were called Thomasians, and were taught the Catholic way with the guided inspiration of the teachings of Saint Thomas, considered the Patron Saint of the Catholic School.

The fact that St. Thomas is a Catholic educator makes it fitting for many Catholic Schools and educational institution to be named after him.

I do owe it to my alma mater and St. Thomas if only for the solid building and molding of a strong character within me, as a Catholic and a person in general.

No comments: