Thursday, August 31, 2006

A Saint's Statue or Likeness

What is the popular on this issue: Do you need to stand, kneel or be in front of the statue or any likeness of your patron saint when you pray to him or say the novena?

Unfortunately, inasmuch as I want to have a statue of the Saint Rita of Cascia or the Miraculous Infant Jesus of Prague whenever I say their novenas and pray to them for my intentions or request for their intercessions.

Well, many novenas indeed require that you should have the statue of your saint for your novena to be more effective. It is said that you somehow are able to convey more your prayers and intention when you say them in front of your saint’s likeness.

The most that I could have when it comes to the likeness of Saint Rita of Cascia and the Miraculous Infant Jesus of Prague are pictures. I have a picture of the Patroness of the Impossible Cases which I clipped from a magazine. I gaze on it while I say the novena to her. While with the Infant, I look at his picture in front of the novena booklet whenever I pray to him.

I believe that what matters really is not whether you have your saints’ statues – what is more important is the sincere and fervent means of praying to them, whenever you want to say your intentions or express your gratitude for their intercession.

No comments: