Monday, June 05, 2006

Saint Rita of Cascia - Her Life Story

Saint Rita of Cascia (1381) was born in the Italian town of Roccaporena. Her parents, Antonio Lotti and Amata Lotti, are already old when she was conceived and because of this, her parents were very grateful to the Lord – and considered Rita as His gift to them.

In her younger years, Saint Rita of Cascia was inclined to enter and join the community of the Augustinian nuns. Unfortunately, Saint Rita’s parents promise to Paolo Mancini their daughter’s hand in marriage. St. Rita dutifully obeyed the wishes of her parents and fully accepted her fate to marry Paolo.

Their marriage was gifted with twin sons, and St Rita content herself in doing the daily matters as wife and mother. Unfortunately, Paolo, who works as a watchman, considered a job exposed to danger, was ambushed and killed on his way home.

Because of Paolo’s death, Rita became concerned about the safety of her sons. She was worried that her sons would seek revenge for their father’s death, and ultimately suffer the same fate. St Rita prayed hard for her sons. Eventually, her twin sons died early of natural death. St Rita’s prayers spared them of the feeling of hatred and revenge and the possible commission of murder. Instead, they died in peace and for this St Rita was thankful to the Lord.

With her husband and sons all gone, Rita again expressed and worked on her wishes to join the Augustinian Nuns. Initially, she was not accepted to the community but with her persistence and fervent prayers – as well as requests for assistance from her favorite saints Augustine, Nicholas, and John the Baptist – she was finally able to secure entry to the Augustinian community.

The next 40 years of her life saw St Rita devoting herself to a life, prayer, and works and deeds of charity as dictated by the rules of St Augustine.

At age 60, while meditating before the cross, a wound seeming afflicted by a thorn appeared on her forehead. St Rita began boring the sign of stigmatization which is considered being one with Jesus. Because of the stigmata, she suffered in pain for the next 15 years which she courageously accepted.

In her last years, one meaningful miracle attached to her was when she requested for a rose from her parent’s garden. The person whom St Rita told about this request went and indeed saw the rose blossoming in the garden of St Rita’s parents. Immediately, she picked up the flower and brought it to St Rita. Hence, Saint Rita of Cascia is also known as the Saint of the Rose.

Saint Rita died on the 22nd of May, 1457. Her intact body is kept and honored in the shrine at her hometown on Cascia.

Saint Rita Medal and novena booklets are available in most Catholic Churches in your area - feel free to visit your church and secure for yourself a Saint Rita Medal.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Please St Rita of Cascia grant me 2
favors. My daughters are suffering
from alopecia and one has chronic
hicups. I have severe candida and
heavy metal and chemical toxicity.
I promise to publish the favors.

Mary

connorsmommy said...

St. Rita Please grant me favor. I want to be blessed with fertility. I promise to do anything that the Lord asks of me.
Amy

Unknown said...

thanks for the great post. please visit saint rita at my blog

http://ritacascia.blogspot.com/

corinne said...

Saint Rita your are the Saint of the most impossible.Please grant my favor.Make a miracle for me this week.cdhange Patrick's heart,make him accept to give me Gregory,it will be for the best of Gregory.Saint Rita,I will never have a child of my own,make him give me back my child.
I promise you that I will expand the Good News.
Thankyou Saint Rita.

Anonymous said...

It may seem impossible, but you are the Saint of the Impossible! Pray for my brother that God will heal his body. He suffered a stroke about two years ago.

Bernie said...

Please Saint Rita take all my worries and troubles away,Bless my son my mom and dad my aunty Libby and her daughter and my self.
Bless my new business and take all my financial difficulties away and all my legal problems away.bless my home and all my loved ones.
Help me start my non profit business to serve the poor and the needy and put other peoples needs before mine so i can serve them selflessly I ask this in the name of Jesus Amen.
Bernie

mothermary said...

Please St. Rita help me with many favors. Money, a husband, where to live, the will to clean and study for a new job. I would like to know how the Lord wants me to change. I promise to tell others about you and to be devoted to you. S

mothermary said...

Please St. Rita, please help me find a husband, more money, where to move and what job to secure. I will be faithful to you.