Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Saint Rita of Cascia as My Patron Saint

I am a devotee of Saint Rita of Cascia, I say my intentions to her, and ask for her intercession to the Lord in my behalf.

And I continiously say the novena as a promise to Saint Rita of Cascia.

But then, I am not exclusive to her. I mean I also pray (and prayed) to other Saints like Saint Jude (another favorite one) and Saint Pilomena - albeit I pray to them occasionally. Unlike with Saint Rita of Cascia, to whom I could say I am a 100% devotee.

Would anyone say it is okay for me to have other Saints to pray to even if I spend less time on them compared to my devotion to Saint Rita? I mean - will my prayers and words of intentions to the other saints be appreciated by them even if I am really much more of a devotee to Saint Rita of Cascia?

Or is it appropriate that anyone should devote totally to one patron saint, which in my case is Saint Rita of Cascia?

I always hear the saying that "whenever one is an a precarious, desparate or any unwanted situation - he could call for help from all the saints in heaven."

Could anyone comment on this?

2 comments:

Dawn said...

My understanding is that your patron saint is like a special friend that you rely on or turn to more often than your other friends. And while your other friends are always there, willing to step up and help you, the relationship you have with your best friend is sweeter and more intense.

You should depend on your patron saint and pray with him or her more fervently or frequently than you do with the other saints. However, if you have a particular need or problem, you might want to pray to a saint associated with that issue. For instance, I tend to be negative and get discouraged easily so I might want to ask St. Michael the Archangel to pray for me that I can be a more positive person since he is associated with removing negative energy.

Good luck on your journey.

Taliesin319 said...

When I was young and disdainful of prayer in that vexing adolescent way all parents have to suffer. My mother, a good and devoted woman told me she prayed daily for me to realize the goodness of the saints. It took rather a while but her prayers were effective.
Now, I too enjoy their presence and warmth.
Keep St Rita as a confidant but widen your horizen. Include some early saints who have slipped from present memory. They'll be glad of your company.