Sunday, June 25, 2006

Veneration of Saint Rita of Cascia and Other Saints

As Roman Catholic, I was taught not to worship and idolize saints (Saint Rita of Cascia included), but only venerate them.

By veneration, I mean show respect or reverence. Saints are special intercessors to the Lord, and while I firmly believe the Jesus Christ is the Only Way, the Truth and the Life - I also believe that saints function like His "assistants" should we wish to convey messages to God, or if we wish to relay prayers of intentions.

I am a devotee to Saint Rita of Cascia, and I continiously say her novena as part of my promise to her should my intentions get fullfilled.

I also create this blog, "Saint Rita of Cascia", because only because I promised it too, but more because I truly believe that she is a powerful intercessor, and that more should know about her.

Still, I do not worship or idolize Saint Rita of Cascia because it is not proper as a Catholic, but instead venerate her holiness and try to understand her life as a model of a great Christian.

And indeed, Saint Rita of Cascia and all other saints are there as examples and guides for us, helping us live with the Lord in our midst.

No comments: