Sunday, July 23, 2006

Saint Rita of Cascia and Company: Honor, Not Worship

Most of us Catholics pray to the Saints and even say regularly their novenas. I say the novena of our beloved Italian Saint Rita of Cascia, the Patroness of the Hopeless Causes and Lady Saint of the Impossible Cases.

But of course, as devout Catholic, we do not pray to the Saints to worship and idolize them – which definitely is not proper and is even a sin as taught by the Church.

Only God deserves our highest worship and praise. One of the Ten Commandments states, “I am your only God. You shall not have other gods before me.” So indeed, one may be committing a mortal sin if he idolizes and worships saints.

One good reason why we pray to the Saints is because we ask for their intercession to the Lord for our many requests and intentions. The saints are given the special tasks to be powerful intercessors to the Lord, assisting us in obtaining and receiving the grace and blessings of God.

Saint Rita of Cascia has been my best friend, and has acted many times as a powerful intercessor on my behalf.

Many of my intentions which I say when I pray to Saint Rita of Cascia and do her novena are heard and granted by the Lord God. And for this, I always try my best to propagate information about her, send out her novena and prayers to as many friends and acquaintances as possible.

We are given the privilege to invoke saints and directing to them our prayers and intentions, that we may be able to obtain them from God thru their assistance.

No comments: